Lisa Herrington focuses her practice on finance, general corporate, bankruptcy and complex commercial litigation matters. Prior to joining Downes McMahon LLP, Lisa was the Deputy General Counsel of The Community Builders, Inc. (“TCB”) and a partner in the finance and restructuring group of Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP.
Lisa has extensive experience representing debtors, secured and unsecured creditors and court-appointed trustees and fiduciaries in all aspects of workouts and bankruptcy proceedings, including out-of-court restructurings, and representing secured lenders, borrowers and equity sponsors in debt financing transactions. In addition, Lisa provided general corporate representation to TCB, a not-for-profit developer and manager of affordable housing, which owns and manages more than 10,000 apartments and has 500 employees in 14 states. Lisa’s responsibilities at TCB included representing TCB in connection with its New Market Tax Credit and Capital Magnet Fund financing programs, managing the defense of claims and litigation against TCB (including employment matters and major civil rights litigation), reviewing and negotiating complex commercial agreements and grants, and providing counsel in connection with corporate governance and compliance matters and policies.
Lisa earned her bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University in 1995 and graduated from the Boston University School of Law in 2002.
Lisa is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
Lisa has been listed in Chambers USA and named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star.
- Counsel to secured lender in complex out-of-court restructuring involving more than $180 million in debt secured by commercial and multi-unit residential real property located in 6 states.
- Counsel to secured lender in complex out-of-court restructuring involving more than a dozen secured lenders and $500 million of secured debt, resulting in payment in full of client’s secured claims.
- Counsel to Chapter 11 Trustee in case that resulted in several successful asset sales that generated substantial return to debtors’ shareholders. Represented Trustee in connection with litigation and successful resolution of multiple significant claims against the estate, including claims relating to employment issues and legacy environmental liabilities.
- Counsel to distressed regional chain of dry-cleaning stores in connection with series of successful out-of-court asset sales.
- Represented major software licensor in multiple bankruptcy proceedings throughout the United States.
- Represented official committee of unsecured creditors, and subsequently, liquidating CEO, in various matters in connection with Chapter 11 proceedings of manufacturer, including prosecution of claims objections which resulted in reduction of claims by tens of millions of dollars, and the successful prosecution of avoidance actions which resulted in significant return to estate.
- Successfully defended numerous clients, including insurance companies, manufacturers and software licensor in avoidance actions.
- Represented numerous banking institutions in connection with senior secured asset-based credit facilities to various retailers and manufacturers.
- Represented institutional lender in connection with numerous cross-border venture debt financings.